Saturday, June 12, 2010

Back to Earth - June Update

All year I've said how amazingly well I've run. Well that's officially over, I've hit my first significant stretch of bad cards. I had my first 300 big bet downswing of the year and had a session where I dropped 20K in about 450 hands. I maintained my composure extremely well during the 20K downswing and was able to recoup most of it fairly quickly - I was in a heads up 100-200 match with someone I had a pretty sizable edge on. After that though, it just seemed like every other big pot I played I got rivered. I almost forgot what it was like to have that happen because it had been so long. It took its toll on me and after about 5K hands of it,I think my game tailed off quite a bit. I regrouped a couple days ago, willing myself to play my best game, and I think I have played very well since although the results really haven't reflected it.

11K hands of break even poker and running terribly in the WSOP events has brought me back to the harsh reality of what poker can be. Sometimes I wonder how I ever made it through a 100K hand breakeven stretch last year. I knew it was coming eventually, I was just hoping it would be after the World Series.

Now more than ever I need to maintain my composure and focus and that's what I intend to do. It can change in a hurry, regardless of whether it does though, I need to focus on making the best decisions I can. And that's the plan.




4 comments:

  1. Exactly the point a lot of poker players forget, then think they are deserving because they play well. Poker owes you nothing and can be much worse than you can ever anticipate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is only a bump and resiliency is what you need to overcome that. It is best to fall and rise than never fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said and I am very resilient as you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe your rungood has run out finally :p

    ReplyDelete